Friday, January 21, 2011

100 Words Exactly

Haven't updated my blog in over a week so I thought I'd share this little tidbit. Critique Circle , a writing website I've been a part of for quite some time. Has weekly writing excersises. Anyone who wants to can participate anonymously and other members vote on the best entry. At the end of the week the winner is announced. The prize? Bragging rights. Well I get to brag now because (clears throat loudly) I won. This was a while back but still, it's never too late to brag right? =)

The rules to this excersize were as follows:

Some think it's easier to write shorter fiction, but that's far from the truth.
I'd like everyone to write a 'drabble' a piece of exactly 100 words (title of maximally 5 words not included) on a chosen subject with a twist ending that's so common in this form of fiction. Hyphenated words and contractions like "I'm" count as one.
It shouldn't come as a surprise that every word needs to count... 
 
I read this and thought easy peasy! Yeah, right it was much harder than I thought.  
 
My entry:
     

This was it. She was going to do it this time no matter what. She wasn’t giving up. Biting her lip she concentrated hard. Up, around, over and in. Darn. Feeling the tears she took a deep breath. Don’t cry; remember what mom said about that.
She wiped her nose with the back of her arm and tried again. Up, over, in, around. It was working. The corners of her lips lifted slowly, and her eyes opened wide as she finished.

She looked around excited. There she is. “Mommy, mommy! I did it! I tied my shoe all by myself!”    

No comments:

Post a Comment